THE PREACHER IS WARNED ABOUT FALSE DOCTRINE
1 Timothy 1:1-11
by Cooper Abrams
2. In Verse 1 and 12, Paul states the it Christ who commanded him and put him in the ministry.
3. Acts 20:28, states that the Holy Spirit made the pastors in Ephesus overseers of the church.
3. Folks the True Gospel preacher and pastor is where he is because God commanded him to take the position. Had he not responded, what miserable creature he would be forever out of God's will.
Any man who is going to speak for God today needs to do it with authority or he ought to keep quiet." (J. Vernon McGee, I & II Timothy, Titus, Philemon page 21)
D. Timothy was instructed by Paul, under the inspiration of God, to "let no man despise thy youth" 4:12 and "neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee." 4:14
2. In 4:13, he is told to give attention to reading to exhortation to doctrine.
2. Paul was saying it was a serious problem and Timothy was to deal with the matter head on.
b. The church had as a foundation the doctrines of the apostles, fellowship, prayers, and the Lords Supper.
c. No church is a true church of God if it is not soundly founded in the Doctrine of the N.T.
Paul also could be talking about Philo, the Jewish philosopher who spiritualized the O.T. making it all a series of myths instead of the inspired Word of God.
3. Genealogies: May refer to the false idea that the church is just a continuation of Judaism.
In other words, these Judaizers, were counting on their heritage as Jews to give the position in the church and with God in reference to their salvation.
4. Paul says these things cause confusion because the are not true. In other words they promoted controversy rather than the Lord's word, which is done in faith. These false teachers were teaching a works salvation instead of salvation by faith.
Godly edifying means preaching the true, and Paul says this do!
2. So many false teachings today teach you can pre- form some ritual and in this manner please God and earn God acceptance.
Knowing the truth as to who God is and that he loves us and cares for our present and eternal life is good and proper motivation to live for the Lord.
We serve our of dedication and love which keeps us committed to His will in our lives.
2. V8 Paul says the law is good if it is used properly. The law is basically teaching right and wrong. It points out sin and defines what is proper in God's sight.
It is a school master, it teaches us what is right and proper. You learn the lesson of the school teacher and then you go on an leave that behind. You don't need to stay in school all your life you come to a time you are on your own.
3. The law defines sin for us. It only says we are sinners in need of salvation. It has not means to save us...it only points out our present condition.
A road map will show you where you are but will not get you to your destination.
2. However, if a believer's only motive for living right is being afraid of God's wrath that is a poor reason. A believer who is spiritual will living willing doing that which is right. They do so because they know right from wrong and that doing wrong is destructive. Most of all they realize it dishonors the Lord and that He had to suffer for all our sins 2000 years ago on the Cross. This is what Paul was talking about in 1 Corinthians 11:29. We should be thankful for Christ's suffering and sacrifice for us and with a discerning spirit not cause Him more suffering because of our callousness in willingly sinning.
3. Paul lists a series of gross sins in which the lawless indulge. He concludes saying that it is lawlessness to do anything contrary to sound doctrine. This statement strikes at the heart of the modern thinking that doctrine is not important. Sound doctrine means correct doctrine, which must be without error. Repeated the Bible statements leave no room for the compromising of God's word or ignoring its teachings. A Christian is above the law only as long as he lives in accordance with God's word. To entertain any false doctrine is to become lawless and outside God's will.
4. Sadly there are many popular preachers on television and who write books who teach unsound doctrines. Many are very respected men who have a large audience. One of the most popular ones was on the radio this week teaching the false teaching of Calvinism which distorts the very nature of Almighty God and His sovereignty of God and the doctrine of election. Others compromise God's teaching on the His plan for the propagation of the Gospel through the local church. The child of God must be careful who he listens to and what he supports. Paul was warning young Timothy of the pitfalls of false teaching that could easily slip into a church.
If you liked the message and would like to see sermons regularly posted to the Bible Truth Sermons Page would you let be know? I would like to hear from you. Please click the button below. Thanks