Ye Must Be Born Again
by Cooper P Abrams III
There has been much confusion as to what is meant by the Biblical phrase "born again".
A few years ago, everybody in the Hollywood was telling about being born again. I did a search on the Internet and found listing for "born again" clothing, bikers, the Born Again Matrimonial Service, the born again Rat Packers, Born Again Henna Hair Color, Born Again Travel Agents, Born Again Skeptics Guide to the Bible, Born Again Wild Yam Cream.
This is a biblical phrase that seems to have become confused in meaning to many.
Many people who live immoral lifestyles claim to be born-again, even rock stars claim to be born again.
2. Saul of Tarus, who after he was saved was called the Apostle Paul, was as religious and devout a Jews as there was....Yet, he was a lost man and needed to be born again.
3. Cornelius, a Roman Centurion, as Acts 10:2, says was a devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, and gave much alms to the people and prayed to God alway. Cornelius, was very religious, but he was not born again. God sent Peter to him, to tell him of Jesus Christ, and Cornelius believed and was saved...then he became born again.
4. Jesus told his disciples about a Pharisee and a Publican who went to the Temple to pray.
The Publican, beat his chest and cried to God the He be merciful to him because he was a sinner. Jesus said the Publican was saved the Pharisee went away lost.
2. Being born again is an inward change in a person's heart, whereas religion is doing something, as a ritual or religious act.
Thus this man, blind to the truth as he is ignored the God's word on the matter and believes he can offer up his righteousness instead of Jesus Christ's righteous. He believes he can offer his good works instead of Jesus Christ's sacrifice, and suffering for the sins of men.
But in time, if they have not been inwardly changed the old ways come back. Outward change that does not come from an inward change does not save.
In Matt. 12:43-45, Jesus said, "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation."
3. Man needs to be inwardly changed. His nature needs to be changed.
How can you take a "speed freak", whose only desire is more drugs, who has no morals, love, care for another, who will rob, or murder to satisfy the lust of drugs, see that person hear the Gospel, and then see his whole life changed.
To see in only a short time, a new person, who is loving, caring and moral in behavior, who now hates the life he lived before.
2. To see alcoholic changed, to see adulterers and sinful people of all walks of life, changed now to be fulfilled.
3. To see a good moral lady, church going and very respectable, to she her get new goals, to see joy in her life, to see her eyes opened to the Truth, now live a most different life, a life devoted to serving the Lord.
4. The world cannot explain it, but they can see the result in the new life the born again believer now lives.
"Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be."
1 Cor. 2:14, concludes that the unregenerate man cannot even know the things of God.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
2 Peter 1:4, We receive a new nature. The divine nature is God's nature.
2. 2 Cor. 5:17. Therefore if any man be in Christ he is a new creature....
3. I Cor. 6:19, Our bodies are the temple of God. The Holy Spirit indwells us. If the Holy Spirit does not indwell us then we are not saved.
b. Rom. 8:9.. Says that the absence of the Holy Spirit in a persons life is evidence they are not saved.
V1 0 says that if we have Christ, sin will not be the rule and pattern of our lives.
V11 Says that the Holy Spirit quickens us, or makes up alive!
This means a saved person can discern between truth and error.
b. V27 We have been anointed, that means chosen to have this new nature.
SEE John 16:13..The work of the Holy Spirit.
c. II Cor. 2:14: The natural or normal man who is lost and does not have the Spirit of God indwelling him....does not receive the things of God.
How frustrating it is to preach the truth, and see men think it is of no value!
B. You cannot see the Kingdom of God or be saved unless you are `born again. V3
C. Your old sinful nature, is not fit for heaven!! You must put on righteousness, and you have no righteousness of your own. Only God is righteous and only He can give it to you as a free gift.
It is not of blood, meaning it has no human element in it! It is all of God.
2. It cannot be earned! Brought, and obtained any way, but by God's way.
One simply trust in Christ as his savior, he trusts God, takes God at His word, and simply says Yes.
He stops fighting God, reasoning with God, arguing with God. He simply surrenders and accepts the Bible as it is.
The Holy Spirit convict that persons of his need for the Lord Jesus and God then in man's surrender, saves him.
2. Prov. 14:12 "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."
2. It is an inward change done by God alone which comes when one believes in Jesus Christ as their Savior and at that moment receives the very nature of God Himself.
3. Christ said that to go to heaven one must be born again.
4. Trust Christ today, just as you are....
If you liked the message and would like to see sermons regularly posted to the Bible Truth Sermons Page would you let be know? I would like to hear from you. Please click the button below. Thanks