FIRE CAME DOWN FROM HEAVEN
I Kings 18:20-39
Cooper P. Abrams III
I. God gives us the account of Elijah as an example of a man whom God can use.
2. He proclaims drought in the name of God - then goes into hiding.(1 Kings 17:1)
3. Three years later he appears again. This time Elijah challenges the sinful King Ahab and the evil prophets who worshipped the idol Baal.
4. An altar is prepared, the first bullock was slain first by the priest of Baal. They pray/chant/cut themselves. Elijah mocked them, ďMaybe Baal on a journey, talking, pursing, asleep and must be awakened.Ē There was not answer, and no fire.
2. The answer is in v36 "I have done all these things at thy word."
3. Elijah had not concocted this event, Oh no. It was not his idea.
4. Look at the Scrpture:17:2 The word of the Lord came unto him, saying:
V8 The word of the Lord came unto him saying. Get thee to Zarephath. God sent him to a Syro-Phoenician woman, a Gentile.
V10-12 Elijah ask her to give him a drink and bread.
She only had a handful of meal in a barrel and a little oil. She said it was the last she had so she was gathering sticks for a fire to cook the bread and then she and her son would die.
Elijah told her in V13 to first give the cake to him and them to her and her son. Elijah made her a promise in Godís name that the meal and oil would not continue to be found in the barrel.
V14 ..thus saith the Lord God of Israel.
V16 ..neither did to cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the Lord.
V17 He son falls sick and dies. Elijah prayed to God and the boy came back to life.
V24...What was the result? ďAnd the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in thy mouth is truth.í (1 Kings 17:24)
V18:1.....the word of the Lord came to Elijah.
God wanted to bless this woman who when she hear Godís word she believed and was blessed. God wanted to us her as a witness even to us almost 3000 years later. Her faith has been a witness and influence on untold numbers of people over these many years. She didnít know it at the time and neither did Elijah, but they obeyed God and God used them.
2. So many times we get upset then there is a bump in the road. If we are living for him, He is well aware to the bump. If it comes, He lets it...but if we are living trusting HIm, it will not deter us from his will for us if we go on trusting him and being used
a. God did two miracles after Elijah did as God said.
b. Jesus mentioned them in Luke 4:25-26.
3. Then for 3 years Elijah lived as an outlaw under the penalty of death, by Jezebel.
2. Anyone placing their trust in the God that made them will be saved!
3. But, just as true is that if a person puts there trust in manís wisdom, worships, and trusts a manmade idea of God, or trusts that even the real God maybe doesn't really mean what he has said will suffer the consequences.
c. But this is not according to God revealed word! "For by Grace are ye saved, thru FAITH, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, NOT of Works, lest any man should boast." Eph. 2:8-9
d. SO....IF a man who hopes he has been good enough to get to heaven get, the question is what has God said? You are saved by trusting Jesus as your personal Savior.
e. The prophets of Baal, stand in testimony of what comes of those who "do it my way".
-they sincerely trusted their manmade god.
-they even worked hard, for him.
-But the failed because they misplaced their trust.
-Godís that do not exist cannot save not matter how sincere a person may be.
2. He refuses false doctrine and exposes it, even if the he is the only one to do so!18:22 Elijah, said I even, I only remains a prophet of God. 450 to 1 3. He stand true to God, even if he stands alone.
4. NOW HERE IS THE HEART OF THIS MESSAGE... He has a God given right also to expect God to honor his Word. The preacher faithful claims the promises of God... "the Effectual fervent prayer of the righteous man availeth much."
He cries to God, I have done all according to thy word...then let it be know this day that thou are God.
Save that lost and dying soul, grow and mature the saved!
2. Oh, God honor your word, save my boys and girls, let them grow in Christ, keep them from sin and the world.Ē
3. It is unreasonable to expect God to honor his word! He said his word would not return unto him void.
2. OH God, won't you save my family.
3. Lord, you say, keep me faithful to you. Give me patience as you did Elijah to faithful serve you while I'm waiting for the rain to fall.
Lord, I'll pray without ceasing, I'll be a cheerful giver and tithe as your have instructed.
Lord, Will be your witness here in my home, and in Tremonton, in Utah, and all over the world.
2. Lord, this is your word, this is what you have said I am to do in faith. Then, Lord Honor your word, let me win souls to you.
Bless my family, and Lord, bless my church!
3. If we are trying God, Doing his will can not we rightly expect him to honor his word!
2. Lord, your word says, I must believe, that what the apostles told the Philippian jailer! Then Oh, God the Best I knowhow I place my trust in you!!!
3. Can you not believe that God will answer that sincere prayer of a heart that loves to know God?
2. Today, I call on God to rain fire down from heaven again.
e. A Fire to burn in menís souls, to give them a desire to win the lost, and make them committed to the Will of God in their lives.
It is always encouraging to receive email from those who find the messages helpful, or who have comments.