A SONG OF CONFIDENCE IN THE LORD
1. This Psalm is indeed a prayer. It is a prayer of trust in the Lord.
2. The Psalm was sung accompanied on a stringed instrument. The word (neg ee naw) "negi'noth" means stringed or hand instruments such as harps and cymbals.
I. THE HEART CRIES OUT IN DESPERATION. 4:1-3
A. "Hear me" means "please answer me"!
1. The child of God cries out to the Author and Finisher of his faith. (Heb. 12:1-2) The prayer addresses God as Amy righteousness.” The psalmist knows and recognizes that in himself there is no righteousness. The psalmist righteousness is in Almighty God Himself. Only God is righteous. This is a foundation truth that must be understood to find true help in a time of desperation. ARightness” ...begins with God.
2. It is an absolute truth that for the child of God, the Lord is the source of comfort and help in a time of trouble or need.
3. “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” (2 Timothy 3:12) The key to understanding this verse is qualifying the statement....it says “all that will live godly in Christ Jesus.”
I read a read a Christian newspaper published by Mike Haxton which is
sent to pastors in the Northwestern states. Part of the paper was
written to encourage pastors.
The thought crossed my mind that if pastors are suffering from the assaults of the forces of evil, from discouragement....most likely some in the congregation...especially the faithful, are too. When Satan and his demons attack it involves everyone.
When one of us hurts we all hurt because we are a family.
B. Distress indicates pressure and the pressures of life can be very great.
1. We need encouragement, we are humans and subject to pressure and distress. We can be overcome with both physical, mental and spiritual difficulties. Often one or the other involves all three. These things can bring depression and release a whole mass of negative thoughts that can oppress us.
2. God is well aware of our vulnerability. There is no shame or any restraint on God's part towards helping us.
3. Other Scriptures on the subject:
Psalm 145:18 "the Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth"
Psalm 18:6, "In my distress I called upon the Lord and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears."
Isaiah 65:24, " And it shall come to pass, that
before they call, I will answer: and while they are yet speaking, I will hear."
Psalm 55:16, "As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me"
Psalm 86:7, "in the day of my trouble I will call upon thee for thou wilt answer me."
Psalm 91:1-16, "He shall call upon me and I will answer him: I
will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him."
His hearts cries out in pain at seeing men reject God. He sees the vanity of it.
Think of all the false religion and men who are sincerely dedication to it. Think of all the religious acts man does, when true salvation is simple and free.
Think of all the selfishness in men, and even in churches. They seek their own desires without regard for others. A “deacon” in a church in Utah has set his mind against a person in the church and has been working deligently to kick him out. I personally know the man he so ademately dislikes and is hurting. He and his wife are godly people who have faithfully served the Lord for many years. But you see for some people they do not consider the facts. They demand their rights, the seek to have their way and hurt so many other people. Many a church has been basically destroyed, its ministry made of no effect.
D. The fact is simply stated, to God, those that seek after him in Godliness, are set apart by God for special treatment, in that their prayers are heard.
1. God does not hear the prayers of the wicked, the selfish, the prideful.
2. The lost man is cut off from God. His sin separates him the Lord. He is alone. His only hope is to turn to God, and pray the prayer of faith and seek God.
II. THE SOUL TAKES ENCOURAGEMENT IN THE FACT OF
GOD'S PROVISION. 4:4-8
A. You are only awed by that you respect and see as valuable.
1. A Christian’s hero should be Almighty God and the heros of the faith. God is a wonderful, loving and powerful God. He is deserving of honor and glory. He does not exploit, but helps and lifts up those that need his help.
2. The key is in knowing the fact that we all do need help. All, everyone without exception.
B. If God is to be honored then to honor Him we must turn over ourselves to Him. The word here is sacrifice. We sacrifice our carnal wants and desires for the eternal reward of serving. V5
To turn one's self over to the Lord is to put your trust, not in your own wisdom, but in the instructions of God.
C. Verse 6. Many ask the question expressed here that says basically, "Where is the good of God."
1. Man's false idea of what is good is of pleasure, riches, self gratification, giving men/women their desires.
2. God does not gratify own sinful pleasures, thus they do not come from God.
3. This is often why man rejects God, for God will not give man, even when he asks for it, that which is not good for or will harm him.
4. Our desire should be, let the full light of the righteousness of God show is what is God’s goodness for us, that every sin and wickedness of ourselves be exposed and put away from us.
D. True joy, satisfaction and gladness can only come from God. There is no other source for such things. True blessings, true benefit both spiritual and material comes from God.
Material things can only please when they are understood in the light of eternity. Material things are temporal.
CONCLUSION: Psalm 4:8:
1. The true believer can lay down his head at night and
rest in peace, knowing he is in the every watchful and caring hands of God.
2. He does not let the worries of the world, selfishness, and pride rob him of his assurance in the love of God. Like a baby in the arms of its loving mother, the child of God, rests in the arms of the Lord.
3. The children’s bed time poem: (Words changed a little to teach God’s truth)
Now I lay be down to sleep, I pray the Lord my
soul to Keep,
If I should die before I wake, I know my soul
the Lord will take!
It is always encouraging to receive email from those who find the messages helpful, or who have comments.