THE GIFT AND GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
1 Corinthians 12:1-7
by Cooper Abrams
"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." (John 14:16-17)
"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:26-27)
The Holy Spirit, who is the Third member of the Trinity, is a gift to us in this dispensation, the "Church Age." The Holy Spirit's work is to give believers gifts or talents to enable him to serve the Lord Jesus Christ.
John 14:17 says the Holy Spirit will indwell and be in the believer.
"But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8:9)
The Holy Spirit also "fills" the believer.
"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." (Ephesians 5:18)
I. WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
1 Cor 6:11. calls Him "the Spirit of our God." Romans 8:15, "Spirit of adoption". A believer is saved by God, and receives salvation from God.
John 16:13-14, 15:26, 16:7-8: The grammar in these verses uses the masculine form of the noun for the Holy Spirit. Note the Holy Spirit is referred to as "He".
b. Matt. 28:19-20 states the church is to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is equally associated with the Father and Son.
Acts. 5:3-4...He lied to Holy Spirit, called God in verse 4.
2 Corinthians 13:14.. shows the three areas of the Ministry of the Trinity. Grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Love of God, the communion of the Holy Spirit.
c. The Holy Spirit is:
Shown begetting Christ. Luke 1:35
Regeneration (act of salvation) John 3:5-6
Interceding (the work of Christ) Romans 8:26-27
Sanctifying 1 Thess. 2:13
2. Acts 2, records how the Spirit came.
3. Acts 2:38, states that all saved people will be indwelled, receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit.
4. 1 John 2: 20 States we have an "unction". It means anointed or chosen....thus believers can discern right from right, and truth from error. V27, states, this anointing abideth in the believer.
5. 1 Corinthians 6:19, just states it plainly. "..know ye not the your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost."
4. The Holy Spirit illuminates the Word of God. He seek in the believers life to bring glory to God. V14
1 Corinthians 7:7, "For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner and another after that.
1 Corinthians 12:4, "There are diversities of gifts but the same Spirit".
Romans 12:5-8, (read) Being many, are one body in Christ, having differing gifts.
v27-28, states the same truth, God gives gifts, in the context of the body of Christ. To edify (to build up the church)
1 Cor 14:12, 26
2. It is to be your lives work. Jesus said seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and all these things will be added unto you.
3. It means you are important in the church. It is a team effort. If you don't do your part it will not be done.
2. All believers have a gift.
3. The gifts are given by God, that the work of the Lord be done.
4. Only you can do your part.
If you liked the message and would like to see sermons regularly posted to the Bible Truth Sermons Page would you let be know? I would like to hear from you. Please click the button below. Thanks