America Has Gone Too Far!
American is a nation of people that have no fear of God
Introduction: The elections of this past week have proven clearly that America has no fear of God. I rarely preach messages addressing current events or politics, but I feel compelled to preach this morning on the lack of fear of God in this nation and what will surely happen to this country.
I often see T-shirts and stickers with the words "No Fear." I thought for a long time it was the name of a rock group. But I learned this week it is the name of a company associated with motor sport racing and NASCAR. I suppose that this is the slogan of those who are racing....they are to drive and compete with NO FEAR. I suppose it is an exciting slogan for the sports fans, but it would have deadly consequences if the drivers had no fear of speed, crashing, burning and death. It is even worst when a nation's people turn their backs to God and have no fear of Him and His judgment.
I. Jeroboam II, A King Who Had No Fear of God.
A. Jeroboam II was the King of Israel who ruled 41 years and truly a man who had no fear of God. He united idolatry of worshiping golden calves and immorality with the worship of Jehovah (Hosea 4:13; 13:6). The worship of God had degenerated into mere ritualism devoid of righteousness and morality (Amos 4:4; 5:5,21-24; 8:14). Yet God said,
"I hate I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Thou ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols."
B. Amos' prophecies shed light on the increase of commerce and wealth in Jeroboam's realm and its consequent luxury and moral deterioration.
Interestingly during his reign the country flourished. He won wars against Syria, and put her cities under tribute along with Moab and Ammon. The tribute from these conquered territories poured in, creating a wealthy class that was utterly selfish and unscrupulous (Amos 2:6; 8:6). Simple dwellings of unburned brick gave way to "houses of well-hewn stone." It shows you cannot judge prosperity as being a sign of God's approval.
C. Does this have a familiar ring to it? Is not America flourishing today? The whole nation is in a boom. Polls after the election this week showed that the American people are interested in little else but their material prosperity. The country is supposedly doing well financially, so morality is not important. It is what the politician does economically that is important...not his moral character.
1. The American people voted for party of the abortionists, the homosexuals, and moral depravity. The economy is doing OK...so murdering unborn babies in their mother's wombs is alright.
This week a revolutionary new medical technology was announced. Medical scientist say that they have discovered "stem cells" in human embryos which can be used to grow new cells in the body. This is a wonderful new discovery because these "stem cells" soon can be grown to replace any organ or part of the body. Billions of dollars will be made with this new technology. The company that made the discovery's stock soured in the last few days. What they .they fail to explain to you is where they get the stem cells. Stem cells come from the brains of living human babies seconds before they would otherwise be born healthy. They are "Harvested".... (that's their word for it).... from living viable little babies brains using what it called partial birth abortions.
ILLUS: During the election this pass week, Colorado had a referendum on their ballot concerning partial birth abortion. The state several years ago placed a ban on partial birth abortions. However, last Tuesday, the people of Colorado spoke loud and clear about how they feel about the matter of killing little unborn babies in this most horrible way seconds before their birth. They voted overwhelmingly to removed the ban.
2. Shocking!?!?......Not really....not to the American people?...not to a people who are in an economic up turn. Inflation is down, unemployed less that 3%. We are doing great! Killing unborn babies makes perfect sense because their is a lot of money to be made. We are a very enlighten society now and the most civilized nation on earth.
ILLUS: In Salt Lake City, Utah, the Mormon capitol of the world, one strongly Democratic district, elected a open lesbian to the City Commission. Her "partner" was happily by her side during the pre election parties. (These are the folks who claim they are conservatives and morally superior people of the LDS church) She told a reporter, "She knew her district." Even before the election she was projected to win because her opponent was a Republican; her district was mostly Democrat. Her opponent in an interview this morning said he was not the type of person who "gay based" and he would do all he could to support her. No wonder he lost the election! At least with her you knew outwardly what she was.
Bill Clinton, president of the USA, admitted that he had lied to the American people for seven months about his affair with the 21 year old house intern. In fact he has lied throughout his whole political life and many of his associates have testified that he has. There has been a lot of hoop-de-la about it. The President said last night that the American people had spoken as loud as they possibly could that they are not interested in the current scandal and wanted the Congress to get back to dealing with economic issues.
I totally agree with the President.... the American people are speaking loudly. The scandal is about the man in the highest office in the nation, lying to the people and committing perjury, committing gross sin in the Oral Office....But that is OK...America is doing well.
The American people are not concerned.
The stock market is up, the economy is booming. Being a liar, adulterer, perjurer, morally debunk person really has no bearing on anything.
To the American people being a practicing homosexual is in fact a real plus if you are running for public office. The destruction of the biblical mandate of a home with a father, mother and children living in a family unit is old fashion and out of step with society. We now are proud of being a tolerant people who welcome the perverts who practice homosexual life styles to lead our nation to greatness!
What bothers me the most is that many who profess to be Christians voted for Bill Clinton and the God hating liberals. They in fact gave their approval for murdering unborn babies, homosexuality, immorality of every sort, and lying. You see they said God's principles of godly living only apply in one's church...not in one's life or the real world we live in. Ladies and Gentlemen....any real Christian who voted for these ungodly people ought to fall down on their knees and ask God to forgive them. This has nothing to do with politics...it has everything to do with God's people living by the Word of God. God will not fellowship with or bless those that have unconfessed sin in their lives...that is a biblical fact. Sadly, I doubt that few will. It takes a hypocrite to not see the ungodly ways of most politicians Republican and Democrat alike.
Folks everyone makes mistakes, and we all will sin. The real born again believer when confronted with his sin will do as David did and with a contrite heart beg God's forgiveness.
II. Israel was very religious.
A. At Dan and Gilgal Jeroboam II had set up subsidiary temples and altars for worship. (Amos 4:4, 5:5, 8:14)
B. Yet, ritual was substituted from righteousness. They substituted emptiness for the fullness of God's blessings and the rich fruits of righteous living. Does that not sound familiar? Churches now have celebrations during their services. Rock groups singing rock songs with "so-called" Christian lyrics dominate the services of the prospering churches of today. The pulpit is now a stage set with modern rock singers and entertaining preachers.
III. God's Response.
A. God sent a sheep herder and farmer to Israel to warn her. Amos did not coming saying "I" have something to say to you people. He came and said, "Thus saith the Lord God of Israel!"
1. Amos was from Judah, not Israel! He was an outsider, a Southerner, an intruder. He told the people, "I'm not a prophet, but a farmer God called to come and warn you. Just an plain ole man of the land. There does not appear to be anything sophisticated about him. He was a simple unrefined unpolished farmer.
2. The priests of Israel had some sharp words for Amos. Go home and prophesy to Judah. Get this straight, Southerner, this is the kings royal residence where he worships in his leisure.
ILLUS: Recently in the news we have seen Clinton carrying a Bible with him. A news release stated that: "President Clinton asked his home church for forgiveness. He sent a two-page handwritten letter to fellow members at Immanuel Baptist Church in Little Rock, Ark., regarding his adulterous affair with a White House intern, news reports said. Pastor Rex Horne read the letter aloud at the end of the Oct. 18 worship service. Michael Seabaugh of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention said that "Clinton's letter shows that a process of repentance has been occurring outside of public view." (Joel News International, Issue #230, October 27, 1998)
I would conclude that Jesus was referring to men like Mr. Seabaugh when he talked about the "blind leading the blind."
B. The false priests represented Amos as a fanatic and a revolutionary conspirator against the King.
1. Speaking for organized religion in Israel, Amaziah the priest said, "You go back where you came from. You eat your bread and do your prophesying there. What ever you have to say, say it there....away from here!"
If you think about it, probably Amos wanted to go home. It would be easy to return home to the peaceful life of tending sheep and dressing sycamore trees. But we was not there representing himself, but representing God.
2. Amaziah, twisted what Amos said which greatly inflamed the King and made him react violently.
C. It is clear that Amos was a heartless and calloused man and that is why God sent him.......right?! This is what those of us who preach Christ crucified and risen again, preach God's truth and warn men against sin are called today. Personally, I think we are in good company. I do not mind being identified with a man like Amos.
1. As a matter of fact, when God said I am going to send swarms of grasshoppers in the latter harvest and eat the land clean.
2. Listen to old fanatical hardhearted fanatical Amos pleading for those that hated him. "Oh, Lord God forgive, I beech thee: by whom shall Jacob arise? for he is small." Boy, that was clear evidence that he was uncaring and unkind...right? Wrong....he deeply loved the Lord and he loved the people...he cared with all his heart for their souls.
3. God, then because of his prayer of intercession turned from sending this horde of grasshoppers to destroy their crops.
4. God then said He was going to send fire and consume Israel. There will be drought, famine and even the waters under the earth would be dried up.
5. Again, the ole cruel negative, unloving preacher Amos, pleaded for Israel his enemy and God once again turned from His wrath and spared them this terrible destruction.
D. Amos sees God with a plumb line.
1. A plumb line string with a pointed weight on the end. When held up to any object it will determine if the thing is vertically straight or crooked.
2. It is God who determines what is vertically straight in regard to righteousness and doctrine. I think it important that the plumb bob measures vertically straightness....in other words what is in tune with God in the heavens above.
3. God's plumb line, not man's showed that Israel was "out of plumb" with God.
4. American measured by God's plumb bob is morally bankrupt and crooked.
E. God longsuffering will come to an end. Amos 7:8
1. This time Amos had no chance to ask God for mercy. God simply stated, "I will not pass by them any more."
2. The high places and sanctuaries were the false altars and temples set up to supposedly worship God. The only altar God accepted was in the Temple in Jerusalem. He had never accepted their substituted altars or sacrifices.
What fools so many "churches" are. They practice their rituals with great fanfare and to-do. They ignore the clear teachings of the Bible. They sing their little repetitious choruses, shun godly hymns, and proclaim all is well in Zion! Lets all come together and praise God. They hate we Independent Baptists because we believe in biblical separation from all ungodliness and worldliness. God help the poor souls these hireling preachers are deceiving and God grant them their just reward.
3. You see Israel's false prophets concluded that God would accept anything they offered and be glad for it. God let them go about their silly and foolish rituals. God was longsuffering, giving them time to repent..... yet they refused. They believed the lie and rejected the truth. They followed the false prophets and joined in when these evil men slandered God's true spokesman.
4. God said their high places and sanctuaries would be laid waste. He said HE, ALMIGHTY GOD WOULD RISE AGAINST THEIR EVIL KING.
5. Israel was destroyed just as God said. The Assyrians, one of the worst, most cruel people on the earth invaded the Northern Kingdom and carried them away as slaves into captivity. They horribly murdered tens of thousands of the Jews. Those that were not fit to be slaves were brutally killed including the old men and women and children. Those that were left alive were taken and sold as slaves for the rest of their lives.
Their false prophets died with them. Their wonderful lavish life style of riches and ease was no more. They rejected righteousness and the blessings of God, for a few years of pleasure. But they paid a horrible price for their short lived entertaining life.
F. Modern America politicians and philosophers have said the rules have changed. We no longer judge by the Word of God. God no longer tells us what is right or wrong. Today we judge by more practical means...what ever works...what ever obtains us the ends we desire....the only rule is "Do whatever to have too to achieve your ends."
Well, you expect that lost and ungodly politicians and philosophers say such things...but today they are joined by men who claim to be representing God! Yes, preachers in pulpits are teaching and practicing the same thing....they are telling their congregations....its OK to do anything....IF IT WORKS!
Yet, the plumb line sends a clear and striking message to our modern situation ethics followers.....God is the Judge...NOT MAN. The Judge will judge by His righteousness....not man's foolishness and corrupted thinking that calls good, evil and evil good. And you can be sure that in God's time...HE WILL JUDGE THE UNRIGHTEOUS AND UNBELIEVERS. There is no speculation here....this will happen...God will judge sin.....ALL SIN!
1. Chapters 8-9 continue the condemnation of God upon these religious, yet sinful, perverted people.
I will probably be criticized for saying this, but I believe it is too late to save America. We have gone to far. The blood of millions of unborn children cry unto God for vengeance. The wrecked lives of our children destroyed by sinful fathers and mothers who turn their backs on their own children, who for sinful lust abandon their own flesh and blood for pleasure ...they are crying to God for retribution.
Marriage vows mean nothing, the welfare of their children or the providing of a proper God honoring home has no priority in peoples lives. The perverts of our society to take to the homosexual life style, that God says is an abomination to Him, that has destroyed the lives of millions of boys and girls, that has fostered AIDS, pornography and the exploitation of children...their cries to God to hear their prayers will be answered. Hollywood has a greater influence on our children their parents or churches have.
Folks, how can God bless sin and unrighteous people? No wonder our nation is failing fast....our people have rejected truth and rejected God. Worse is that many who claim to be God's children, who profess to be saved....yes even preachers are joining in with the ungodly by remaining silent....and by their silence they are condoning these gross sins. I have a friend who claims to love the Lord. He is very concerned about those who deny God and those who teach false doctrine...yet in his home is a sign that all who come to his door can read.....Republicans Not Welcome! Democrats Come right in! Again this is not a political condemnation, but a spiritual and biblical one....this professing Christian who claims he loves the Lord is a card carrying member of the political party of the abortionists, homosexuals, and perverts...! He is proud of it too. Jesus said that believers are the salt of the earth....yet many of those who are supposed to be salt....are bland and worthless to God and to the proclamation of God truth....for the love of a money they have sold out God! And they are proud of it and cannot see their error. Can you not understand why I believe America has gone to far....their is little salt in America and it is only because of the salt that God has prospered this nation.....but I believe NO MORE!
It is the false teachers, the liberal Protestants, the compromising neo-evangelicals and the worldly Charismatics, the self-serving Fundamentalists who are so optimistic about revival, that are keeping revival from coming to this nation. Can God best a nation that hates God? Can such hard hearts be turned to truth.....I would hope they would, but I doubt it. I think we have gone to far...
We fundamentalists are so proud of our stand for the Lord, and yet in our ranks are many compromising preachers and there is little said about it. David Cloud recently coined a term that I think applies.....he calls the modern so called fundamentalist "Neo-evangelical Fundamentalists!" These are those who talk fundamental, preach fundamental and practice neo-evangelicalism! What a tragedy to have men who claim to be fundamentalists who preach fundamental truth, but act like the compromising Laodician new-evangelicals....God help us.
America as a nation has gone to far....God, because He is a Just and Righteous Judge, must pour His wrath on this nation. I have a family, parents and in-laws I love dearly. I have a son and daughter-in-law and two wonderful grandsons. I love them with all my heart, but I fear we all will be suffering soon, if the Lord tarries. I fear for their future....because I like Amos can know from God's word that He will judge the ungodly. Yes, He is longsuffering and I believe the reason America this exists is because God loves the sinner and seeks to give him every opportunity to repent....but I see no repentance....not from lost America...or from the "Christian community."
2. READ: Amos 9:1-6
3. Least you be discouraged.....There is an Answer....there is Good News! There is a Sure and Absolute Hope... Amos 9:8-10. God promises not to "utterly" or complete destroy the house of Jacob. God said He will sift Israel in a sieve and they would be scattered among the nations of earth, and the shifting would be an action to purge them and save a purified remnant.
4. This plumb line judgment is an individual as well as a national one. God judges the individual. The ordinary man in Israel could not oppose the King, nor change his heart. Yet, each person in Israel would answer for their own sin. God would sift out the chafe and only the pure would be saved.
5. The saving of the remnant is important to us of today. The remnant was the lineage of the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World.
6. I think most true believers understand now that we cannot stop the evil men who are running this nation and world. But we can believe in Jesus Christ and we can serve and honor Him, but giving our lives to Him completely. That ungodly men do...in no way affects the power of God to save the soul that in belief calls on Jesus Christ for forgiveness for sin. God will save all who call upon Him. That is the sure and absolute hope...no matter how things get.
We can on bowed knees to God, with bowed heads....dedicate ourselves to God. We can make our commitment sure. We can determine that with God's help....we will live for him. No matter what the world around us is doing.
As Noah preached righteousness for 120 years....we too can continue to proclaim salvation to a lost and dying world. We can tell them of God offer of forgiveness and eternal life.
We can take heart that God's promises of eternal life are true. God's plan will happen. Soon, the wicked whom seem to be invincible will be judged and they will burn in the horrid fires of the Lake Fire.
7. Note verses 11-12. Verse 12, says, "the heathen which are called by my name will do this." Folks that is us, those that believe and have in faith made Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior!! We are the heathen that believe.
8. Ahead is the glories of God and His heaven He has prepared for us! I was feeling really down, distressed and discouraged Friday morning. The devil is winning every battle and I am weary of it. Then, I opened my Bible to a familiar verse and read it once again.
Please read with me Romans 8:18-39.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seethe, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 ¶ Likewise the Spirit also helped our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself taketh intercession for us with groaning's which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searched the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he taketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 ¶ For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 ¶ What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemned? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also taketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Email Bible Truth