The Four Square church has many doctrinal problems. I will address the major errors with links to articles addressing the biblical issues.
1. The denomination was started by a woman Aimee Semple McPherson in the 1920s. According to 1 Timothy 3:1 as bishop or overseer of a church must be a man. Throughout the New Testament God did not call or use women to pastor churches. They are important in a church, but are not to be leaders over men.
2. The Four Square church teaches a Christian can lose their salvation thus denying the eternal salvation of the believer.
3. The Four Square church teaches and practices modern tongues speaking. Clearly modern tongues does not compare with what the New Testament records and biblical tongues of the First Century ceased as 1 Corinthian 13:8-12.
4. The Four Square Church teaches that the baptism of the Holy Spirit or the indwelling of Holy Spirit is a second "blessing" that only some believers experience.
The New Testament teaches all believers are indwelled by the Holy Spirit: "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. (Romans 8:9-11)
Jesus said about His sending the Holy Spirit to indwell all believers: "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." (John 14:16-18)
Paul plainly states that if a person is not indwelled by the Holy Spirit they are not His. "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8:9)
https://bible-truth.org/bapt-hs.htm "A Biblical Look at the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the Filling of the Holy Spirit."
5. The Four Square Church has a false belief about healing.
https://bible-truth.org/FAQ-FaithHealing.html "Frequently Asked Questions about Faith Healing." They use 1 Peter 2:24 as their proof text. The context of 1 Peter 2 makes it clear that Peter is speaking of spiritual healing. "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed" (1 Peter 2:24). The verse is talking about sin and righteousness, not sickness and disease.
6. The Four Square Church is ecumenical means they join with unbiblical denominations and churches in joint services and ministries.
7. The Four Square Church uses CCM in their services.
It is always encouraging to receive email from those who find the material helpful, or who have comments.